Bill Evans – Smile with Your Heart: The Best of Bill Evans on Resonance (180g Vinyl LP)
180g Vinyl LP Collection from Resonance Records Mastered by Bernie Grudman and Pressed at RTI
Resonance Records, the leading archival jazz specialists, continues their recently inaugurated series of samplers, the Takao Fujioka Collection, with a pair of packages devoted to material from their bestselling, award-winning and previously unreleased recordings by pianist Bill Evans and guitarist Wes Montgomery.
Smile With Your Heart: The Best of Bill Evans on Resonance brings together standout tracks from the company’s four sets of hitherto unheard material by the lyrical keyboard master: Live at Art D’Lugoff’s Top of the Gate (2012); Some Other Time: The Lost Session from the Black Forest (2016); Another Time: The Hilversum Concert (2017); and Evans in England (2019). Three tracks from the recently released Evans In England appear on Smile With Your Heart. The Los Angeles label’s collections of rare, unheard music by Evans and Montgomery have garnered international acclaim. Evans’ Some Other Time, a stunning Dutch radio date featuring a short-lived trio with bassist Eddie Gomez and drummer Jack DeJohnette, was named one of the year’s top historical releases by DownBeat, JazzTimes, the U.K.’s Jazzwise, and the NPR Music Jazz Critics Poll and topped Billboard’s Jazz Albums chart.
All of Resonance’s albums devoted to Evans and Montgomery have been released with the full cooperation of the musicians’ estates. Zev Feldman, Resonance co-president and producer, says, “It’s been an honor to work so closely with Evan and Robert of the Evans and Montgomery estates over the course of the last 9 years to bring these incredible, unearthed treasures to light. These artists are really in the bedrock of our label, and it’s been remarkable to see the kind of excitement our releases generate in the press and with our fans.” In his liner notes to Smile With Your Heart, Bill’s son Evan Evans writes, “The lovely work that Zev Feldman, George Klabin and everyone at Resonance Records have done in finding these treasure troves of beauty from my father’s legacy is beyond words…Resonance has accomplished something very admirable with this release; they’ve created a compilation album with its own soul and authenticity. It’s as tender and divine as it is brilliant and swinging.”
Like Resonance’s first two compilations in the Takao Fujioka Collection – Sing a Song of Jazz: The Best of Vocal Jazz on Resonance and Jazz Piano Panorama: The Best of Piano Jazz on Resonance – the newly released Evans and Montgomery samplers features the eye-catching artwork and design of Fujioka, editor of the Japanese jazz journal Way Out West; he supplied the cover art for Resonance’s 2016 Stan Getz release Moments in Time.
• 180g vinyl LP
• First ever Bill Evans compilation from Resonance Records
• Mastered by Bernie Grudman
• Pressed at RTI
• Cover art designed by acclaimed Japanese artist Takao Fujioka
- Someday My Prince Will Come (Live at Art D’Lugoff’s Top of The Gate)
- Yesterdays (Version 1) (Live at Art D’Lugoff’s Top of The Gate)
- Mother of Earl (Live at Art D’Lugoff’s Top of The Gate)
- You’re Gonna Hear from Me (Some Other Time)
- Baubles, Bangles and Beads – Trio (Some Other Time)
- My Funny Valentine (Some Other Time)
- Nardis (Another Time: The Hilversum Concert)
- Very Early (Another Time: The Hilversum Concert)
- Turn Out the Stars (Another Time: The Hilversum Concert)
- Polka Dots and Moonbeams (Evans in England)
- Re: Person I Knew (Evans in England)
- Waltz for Debby (Evans in England)